You can navigate the waters of fundraising as serenely as this swan if you make sure your fundraising is both ethical and peaceful.
Two Ways to Tell if Your Fundraising is Peaceful and Ethical
- You love fundraising.
- Your fundraising is successful.
To Make Fundraising Truly Easier, Make It Both Ethical and Peaceful
Both #1 and #2 are needed for easier fundraising. You can have #2, lots of money coming in, and you still won’t have easier fundraising. That’s because you don’t love it. And you don’t love it because it’s not peaceful or ethical. You need both #1 and #2 or you will literally become sick of fundraising–the mere thought will make you want to throw up.
When fundraising makes you nauseous, it’s a sign you are out of integrity with yourself.
Easier fundraising comes from fundraising with integrity. Fundraising that feels out of integrity is not always unethical. But it is always unpeaceful.
How to Tell if You’re Making Fundraising Easy or Hard on Yourself
If fundraising makes you queasy, it’s either unethical or it feels unethical to you. Those are two different things:
- Actually unethical fundraising is illegal, manipulative, obnoxious, a violation of your mission, your program, and your highest good.
- Fundraising that feels unethical but is not any of the above things may feel like one of these:
- it may feel scary, possibly because talking about money was scary when you were growing up and it’s not much easier now as an adult having to talk about money–with strangers!
- it may embarrass you because deep down, you feel that talking about money is just plain rude and that money matters are private.
- it may anger you to have to fundraise, because people should just know they need to give without being asked.
Make fundraising easier by finding a way you can do that is ethical and peaceful.
Figuring Out Your Easier Fundraising
Making sure your fundraising is ethical is simple because it’s fact-based. It’s either legal or it’s not. You can research or ask a lawyer or nonprofit mentor (or me) and find out. It’s either manipulative or it’s not. Again, you can ask your donors, your staff, your heart, a mentor, or me, and you will get the answer.
Making sure your fundraising is peaceful can be harder because you have to dig inside yourself to figure out what’s bugging you about doing it: is it scary? is it embarrassing? are you angry you have to do it?
If you want us to write more about what bugs YOU about fundraising, please comment to this post. We’d love to take our cue from you in helping you have easier fundraising.