Everyone Has Money
This is an especially important post at the holidays. It’s premier fundraising season: everyone is asking, and everyone is giving. How to jump in successfully? Respect all donation amounts–your own and others’.
Everyone has money. Peaceful fundraising and peaceful donating shows respect for this. This post is a word to wise fundraisers and donors: everyone has money. Keep this in mind if you want to give and if you want to receive.
May I Never Hear This Again:
“None of our members have money.”
from a fundraiser.
“I don’t have any money.”
from a person asked to give money.
Because What You’re Really Saying Is This:
The translation of “None of our members have money” is
we think so little of the money our members have that it’s not worth asking them for it.
The translation of “I don’t have any money” is
I think so little of the money I have that it’s not worth giving it.
Both of these translate to: people who can give ordinary human amounts of money don’t count.
What is enough? When is our giving ever enough? When we say it is. Because enough! is when:
- we fundraisers validate small, medium, and large gifts.
- we donors take pride in whatever amount we can give.
- all of us understand that it takes all of us to be successful.
An organization dependent on large gifts is fragile. An organization dependent on small gifts is stable but probably not reaching its full potential for cross-class organizing.
We need each other, and we need each other’s giving. For wealth, we need to make peace with giving and receiving, in all amounts.
More Posts for Fundraisers and Donors
Fundraisers: go after small and medium gifts. Here is an article that will help you. And here are posts to help you:
- 10 Reasons to Love Small Gifts
- What are We Afraid of?
- Mobilize Your Peaceful Fundraising Warrior
- plus some people who are doing it right
Donors (and this is all of us): please learn to say “no” along with “yes.” If you can’t say a true “no,” can you say a true “yes”? Here are posts to help you:
- EVERYONE Has Positive Money Traits
- Money for My Dreams and My Family’s
- From Fool to Money Magician (and all our posts about the money archetypes)
- Recovery from Capitalism (a series, for deeper healing from a “you are what you earn” mindset)
Remember these words when you go to give, and when you go to ask. They will serve you in good stead. Happy giving! Happy receiving!